Checklist for Moving Into a New Home
July 15, 2022
You’ve been exploring new homes in Portland OR and finally purchased a move-in ready new home or you’ve chosen to build from scratch. Either way, it’s now time to move into your beautiful new home. To make the process go as smoothly as possible, here are some helpful tips.
- Fortunately, when you buy a new home from Pacific Lifestyle Homes, you are guaranteed a walk-through before officially closing and moving. We show you important things like cut-off valves, breakers, any smarthome technology included, and the rest of the home to ensure it’s exactly as you requested. You should have dimensions and a sense of where your furniture will be going, but if it’s a quick-move home, you may want to take along a tape measure, just to be sure everything will fit where it’s supposed to go.
- Try to get everything hooked up in advance. This means water, electricity, gas, internet, and any other utilities and services you’ll be using. Having them already turned on makes move-in day easier and more comfortable.
- Make a plan for kids and pets. Moving day means lots of open doors and a variety of hazards. If possible, try to enlist a friend or family member to keep your kids and pets until the move is finished. If that’s not possible, try to use a guest bedroom or bonus room where the kids and pets can stay out of the way, with you checking on them periodically. This is another reason to have the internet already set up to keep them entertained.
- Along the same lines, keep a close eye on box cutters, scissors, bubble wrap and other packing materials to prevent small kids and pets from getting hurt. Try to keep cutters and scissors in one dedicated space in each room as you unpack and try to break down boxes and contain packing materials as you empty each box to keep things safe and organized.
- An unpacking plan comes in handy. It’s best to unpack in some sort of order. One way is to mark boxes by room before the move so they end up in the right place. This also allows you to focus on the rooms that are the most important. Bedrooms, at least one bathroom, and the kitchen are the rooms most people try to take care of first. Even if you’re just sleeping on mattresses on the floor the first night and ordering in food, make sure there’s space for the mattresses and somewhere to eat.
- Don’t forget to have a bag with a change of clothes, along with bathroom items and other necessities, such as medicines, etc. This will help you get through the actual moving day and prepare you for the following days of unpacking.
- Finally, don’t forget to change your address if you haven’t already. If you haven’t set up your home security system yet, now is also the time to do so.
One of the best ways to ensure a smooth moving process is to be as organized as possible before the move. Clearly labeled boxes and even color-coding to help mark where items go in your new homes in Portland OR will make it easier to tackle each room as needed. With our brand new homes, you will have plenty of space to adapt your lifestyle to your new home, helping you to settle in easily.Tags: homebuilder in portland or, homes for sale portland or, new homes for sale in portland or
This post was written by Pacific Lifestyle Homes